What Does it Mean When a Bet Is Called a Lock?

If you’re new to the world of sports betting, you may come across the term “lock” being used by more experienced bettors. They might describe a particular bet as a lock, and claim that it’s impossible for it to lose. This might leave you wondering, “What is a lock bet exactly?”

In this article, we will delve into the meaning of a lock bet in sports betting. We’ll explore what it means when someone refers to a bet as a lock, and provide insights on whether or not you should trust the advice of others when they claim to have a lock bet. By the end of this article, you’ll have a better understanding of what a lock bet is and whether or not it’s a smart betting strategy.

What does lock mean in sports betting?

A lock, in sports betting terms, is a bet that is guaranteed to win. This term is often used by sports bettors to describe a sure thing, meaning the outcome of the bet is near 100% certain. However, nothing is guaranteed when gambling, so you should always use caution when you hear these words.

For example, let’s say you’re betting on the New England Patriots to beat a team on a 10-game losing streak. The Patriots are heavy favorites, so you may hear someone say this bet is a lock. But even though the Patriots are favored to win, they could still lose the game. So while the bet may have a high chance of winning, some risk is still involved.

Should You Buy Betting Picks?

No. Buying picks is almost always a losing strategy. Even if you are sure that your favorite sports betting tout have an advantage, rarely does the math work out to be profitable.

A betting tout claims to win 55% of their picks. If a tout claims to win anything better than this, it should be an immediate red flag. For reference, the best sports bettors in the world often struggle to win this frequently. Especially when you consider a sample size of many years, it is challenging to consistently win this often.

You are essentially adding an additional $50 to the vig you need to beat to be profitable.

Let’s say you pay $50 for a pick with -110 odds. To break even, you would need to bet $55 to just break even. Now, if their win rate is 55%, you would need to increase your wager size to cover your losses for the other 45%.

The other issue with purchasing picks is that you will have little to no closing line value. Because you will not be able to act on the bets at the same time the tout recommends it, the odds will usually move before you have a chance to bet.

Final Thoughts

There is no such thing as a lock in sports betting. Knowledge and research is the answer to selecting the best bets. There are no shortcuts. Anyone who tells you otherwise is likely trying to take advantage of you.

While sports betting can be a fun and exciting way to make extra money, it should always be done responsibly. Never bet more than you can afford to lose, and always remember to have a bankroll management strategy to manage your risk.

If you don’t have time to find bets yourself, we share our favorite bet recommendations daily for free. We go through the bets available to find the most profitable options and provide you with the most important data to make a more informed decision.

We don’t provide locks; we simply use data to surface the best sports bets for that day.